|STREET FAIRS FOR PROFIT, FUN AND MADNESS - D.J. STEFANIK (me)|
|My wife and I have been selling our merchandise at street fairs, A&C shows, festivals and county fairs for over 18 years. Now you can read a first-hand account of what we have had to endure as I describe many of our adventures, experiences and nightmares. Click here for more info on purchasing.|
14-year-old Ashley Long told her parents she was going to a slumber party. But instead of spending the night watching videos and eating popcorn two blocks away, she piled into a car with a bunch of her friends and rode to a condo in Medford, Ore., where police say the big sister of one of her friends was throwing a party with booze and marijuana.
After drinking on the drive, and downing more drinks in the condo, it came time for Ashley to take her turn on a tank of helium that everyone else was inhaling to make their voices sound funny.
"That helium tank got going around," said Ashley's stepfather, Justin Earp, who learned what happened from talking to Ashley's friends at the party. "It got to my daughter. My daughter didn't want to do it. It was peer pressure. They put a mask up to her face. They said it would be OK. 'It's not gonna hurt you. It'll just make you laugh and talk funny.'"
Instead, she passed out and later died at a hospital, the result of an obstruction in a blood vessel caused by inhaling helium from a pressurized tank.
It is the depletion of oxygen that can cause brain
Helium is too dangerous to play with, as any gas not containing enough of oxygen, besides that they can also be poisonous.
Comedy television and radio programmes often use
helium as a device to get laughs. This portrays helium inhalation as a
fun, safe practice when, in effect, it is deadly. Public figures are
influential in the minds of the public and they need to realise that
they could either die from helium use or be indirectly responsible for
the death of another.
BOC Gases is deeply concerned about the misuse of Balloon Gas and is going to great efforts to inform the public that helium inhalation can be fatal. Unfortunately with people continuing to ignore the dangers of this potentially lethal practice, it is a difficult task to educate the public that HELIUM INHALATION IS NO LAUGHING MATTER!